Sworl is proud to be a Gold Level Sponsor at the third annual Monster Dash. The trail run and kid’s races take place Saturday, October 25th in West Seattle’s beautiful Lincoln Park.
The event benefits West Seattle Cooperative Preschools. It includes a costume (and stroller)-friendly 5k trail run/walk and two Little Monsters’ Dashes (kids’ runs). Fun prizes from local businesses will be awarded for costumes, times, and other categories. The 5k start time is 9:00 am, Little Monsters’ Dashes start at 10:00, and the awards ceremony is at 10:15.
On race day, stop by Sworl’s booth for discount coupons and see examples of Sworl’s frame styles and services. There’s no faster or better way to frame the perfect Halloween photo of race moments and kids’ costumes!
The Monster Dash was started by Milyssa Daigle, whose daughters Bryn and Gabby went to West Seattle Cooperative Preschools. In 2012, Milyssa got her Road Runners Club of America running coach certification. Knowing that the co-op preschools operate on a shoestring budget, she planned a Halloween race to raise funds for the schools and help model healthy behavior for kids. After approval from preschool leaders, the first Monster Dash was run that fall.
Last year’s race, on a perfect fall day, had twice as many runners—about 130 adults and kids for the 5k and 150 children for the Little Monster Dashes. Even more are expected for 2014.
Unlike most co-op fundraisers, which depend on parents to sell goods or donate or buy auction items, the Monster Dash is community supported. About 10% of the runners are preschool parents; the other 90% are West Seattle residents or members of the Seattle running community. With volunteer planning and setup, all proceeds go directly to the preschools.
The 5k trail run is designed for parents, community members and kids who want to run that distance. For the quarter-mile Little Monster Dash (kids mostly 9 and under) and the 100-meter Littlest Monster Dash, the children chase someone dressed as a monster. This adds to the fun—and keeps kids running after the monster instead of all over the park!
For more information, and to register for the event ($35 for the 5k, $25 for 12 and under, free for the Little Monster Dashes), go to http://westseattlemonsterdash.blogspot.com
For information about West Seattle Cooperative Preschools, go to http://www.westseattlepreschool.org
All photos: Jenn Beherndt.